Saturday, March 15, 2014

Upcycled Art Made From Bread Clips



This little project seemed to take forever! Collecting enough bread clips or climps as they call them in the right colors took awhile but I did get some help from my friend Lisa, from Beadsoul on Etsy. For some reason her husband collects them so she sent me a bunch! The other reason is I wanted to use a square frame; Ikea has these cool square frames with big mats but they were out of them! Ikea is not my favorite place to go (I am an online shopper!)  so I waited until I absolutely needed something else like a little cart for my craft room!


upcycled crafts

First I laid out my climps to make sure I had enough colors in the pattern I wanted on a sturdy silver piece of standard size square scrapbook paper.

 I made an "X" to figure out where the center was and just glued the four center climps and worked out from there. I used Yes glue but I am sure a glue stick could work. The cool thing about Yes glue is that with the plastic climps, it takes a while to dry so you can adjust things if necessary. You will notice the climps are not perfectly square or all the same size so I alternated the directions and fit them as closely as possible so a small border was left on the outside edge of the scrapbook paper, that allowed it to fit perfectly into the Ikea Ribba mat. I let it dry overnight before framing though.


upcycling art

upcycling bread climps


repurposed art


kitchen art

What do you think? Perfect little art piece for my kitchen? Comments welcomed!

8 comments:

  1. Very cool! Now to collect a bunch of these guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, once you start collecting them you won't be able to stop! Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I think this is really wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Heather! I never would have thought to create something with bag clips. The effect of the artwork is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Val, thanks so much, I've always loved colorful geometric patterns & thought this would be a quick project once I collected enough clips :)

      Delete
  4. I can see it more as a background for some 3-D artwork, like a creature made from Legos, then framing in a shadowbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce you, I can see that too! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete