Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DIY Hanging Magnetic Spice Rack/Storage

Simple DIY Hanging Magnetic Spice Rack or Bead Storage







Materials:

1) 1-2 magnetic knife racks; one rack holds about 8 jars. I got mine from Ikea
2) Spice jars, I see them at Bed Bath & Beyond, at my market in the spice section or at The Container Store
3) 8-16 metal 1 1/4" washers
4) 2-part epoxy
5) course sandpaper

First you want to take some course sandpaper and rough up the the center part of the plastic lids and also one side of the washers to help the glue stick. Mix up enough epoxy and spread a generous portion on the lid and place the washer on top. Set aside for at least a couple hours, preferably overnight before using.






Mount your knife racks under a shelf or cabinet according to the directions, arrange your spice jars and there you have it, a simple magnetic hanging spice rack!


13 comments:

  1. Awesome-ness! I have to do this! I always knock over other spices when searching through them on the shelf I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tutus & Tea Parties! It's very handy and easy to use; I keep the spices I use the most up front and it looks cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea practical and it looks cool x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply wonderful, and practical.
    I really should do this :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you for stopping by Angie : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Just wondering if you find the hot glue holds the washers onto the plastic bottle tops well. Thanx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about hot glue; it tends to peel off of some plastics. I would do a test and be sure to rough up the plastic lid with some course sandpaper or an Exacto knife first. I like 2 part epoxy because it is permanent.

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you thought to use WASHERS!!! WASHERS!! Urgh....Ive been googling and searching every store I walk in to for thin small magnets that were actually affordable (not possible)!!!! While this whole time I just needed simple washers!!!!! Ive been dying to do this to get my spices off my counter AND for a Makeup Storage Board....but I havent been able to find magnets anywhere!!
    Anyway, You just made my ENTIRE year because of WASHERS!!! Let me say it One More Time......WASHERS!!! Thank you for your post and actually explaining what you used for magnets since no other post explains that part!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for stopping by! Occasionally I must re-glue a washer so be sure to really rough up the plastic lid before gluing!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete