Sunday, May 8, 2011

Recipe: Easy Quick Fix Ricotta Cake

Recipe: Easy Quick Fix Ricotta Cake


Everyone thinks I am weird for making my own birthday cakes but I like GOOD cakes; store bought cakes are just okay and I would never want my husband to bake one!  My favorite cakes are hazelnut torte, (not really a cake) which is a big project and this easy Italian inspired chocolate cake,  made from a mix with a yummy not-too-sweet satisfying ricotta filling.

First, bake your favorite mix according to the directions in 9" rounds; I add the zest form one orange and 1/2 tsp almond extract to the mix for more flavor.  I cool and freeze cake until needed.

For the filling,  I chop 1/2c each toasted almonds,  semi-sweet chocolate, dried cherries, candied ginger, zest from one orange and add to 15 oz ricotta cheese, along with  1 T Grand Marnier or Brandy, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract


Whip up 1/2 c heavy cream with 3 T sugar and gently fold into mixture. Filling should be slightly sweet; may need to add 1T more sugar but you don't want it too sweet because the cake is super sweet!





Slice cake rounds in half and add 1/3 of the filling to 1st layer, then repeat with next layers, then I smush it together making sure everything is even and not leaning.







I frost with gobs of my favorite chocolate buttercream frosting. Tastes best if left overnight for the flavors to marry.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, girl! This looks so darn delicious!! I don't blame you for making your own cake... if you're gonna eat cake, it better be good, and this looks like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My gosh yes! Chocolate my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete